Saturday, January 19, 2008

Props for "The Blind Side" and Monica

Amazing as it sounds I read a book. Like a whole book and not an Army manual or Federal Statute. More amazing than the fact that I read the book is the girl that sent it to me. This time I am not talking about my girlfriend Emily (though she is amazing) I am referring to her roommate Monica.

Monica has been a great friend since Emily moved to DC. Monica is always there to lend a hand or an ear when Emily needs it and that is a great comfort to me being away. Knowing that I needed distraction from the day to day life here, Monica sent me a book for Christmas. Reading is not normally high on my list, but Monica was just sure I would like this book. I am happy to say she was spot on! So Monica, Thanks for the book and for being such a wonderfully supportive friend :)

The book The Blind Side by Michael Lewis chronicle's the rise to college football stardom of Michael Oher, but that is only half the story. Woven into the life story of Michael Oher is nothing short of an education on the metamorphosis college and pro-football have undergone in the past 30 years.

I am not a book reviewer and I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I am not going to go in depth. I want to say though that the book does a great job of doing couple of things all at once. First, it tells Oher's story which is nothing short of The American Dream. A kid with zero education, passed though the system. Living in the worst of conditions in a day to day existence ends up becoming not one of, but THE most recruited high school football player of his time. Thia is a great story about how people can make a difference in others lives and the power of faith, family and dedication. Second, the book is a lesson in the fundamental strategic changes in football as it evolved from a running game to a passing game. Finally it is a lesson in economics by describing how the seemingly inglorious position of left tackle has become the highest paid player on the field.

In short, a great read from a great girl. Thanks again Monica.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you, Dave! Emily is a wonderful roommate and friend - she supports me a lot too. :-)

I'm glad you liked the book!!

thanks again for the shout-out.
~monica