Monday, January 14, 2008

Last Call - Day 4 and My Return Trip

My last day was about the same as the other 3, not doing a whole lot of anything. There isn’t much to report because I didn’t do much. R&R is relaxing in that it gets you out of wherever you are. Other than that fact though, it is a fairly frustrating experience. 3 beers a day is a tease. It annoys me that the Army Senior Leaders SAY they have faith in their soldiers, but clearly they do not if they are limiting beer. There is a wireless network but it is so slow you can’t even connect to it most of the time. When you can it is not fast enough to load WebPages, but you can usually IM with it. There is a bunch of other little shit that is annoying the same way the same little shit is annoying at work. The only difference is your not at work, so it is a degree better.

We got pretty lucky and got scheduled on a flight the next day in the afternoon. This means that we do not have to be at formation until about 0800 on day 5. This time scheduled got me back to CP Arifjan about 9 pm the same night. Yeah, again another 12 hours to move roughly 400 miles by air, amazingly efficient. I got to ride on another, larger aircraft this time a C-17. I thought a few pics might help show how big it is, especially comapared to the pics of me in the C-130.

I made it back safe and sound and am now back at work. Nothing has changed in me week away. No surprise. I will say it was kinda nice to sleep in my familiar bed instead of in a bunk bed in a room with 23 other guys. It is also nice ot be back in that Pass is one more “event” that is out of the way as I head towards R&R with Emily and finally redeployment!

No comments: