Saturday, March 8, 2008

Nando’s Zucchini Appetizer

I spent a few hours at the café and then made my way to the check-in. Kuwait International Airport is, like the rest of the country, disappointing. For a nation of millionaires that don’t work, they sure have a crappy airport. That is not to say it isn’t nice to look at. They have it all Starbuck’s, KFC, Fuddrucker’s, even a Harley Davidson store! As with the rest of the place, they have really nice stuff set amongst a backdrop of crap and existing in a system of ridiculousness.

So while I am sitting on my luggage after I had been charged $5.00 to have it shrink wrapped (still not sure if that was voluntary or required) and taken by porter to where I am sitting on it to have it checked in I meet Fernando. Nando as he likes to be called, is a technician that has worked in the oil refinery business for almost 30 years. He has spent many years all over the middle east. Anyhow, we strike up a conversation while waiting for the baggage check into open and I discover he is from Italy! So of course we talk of my trip and we wait. We get checked in and then spend the next few hours waiting for our plane together. I find him an engaging very well informed and wonderful travel companion. I also notice the many facial expressions and gestures that I have seen in my Grandfather. I chuckle to myself and think “yeah, so that really is how Italians are!”

I will get to the appetizer in a minute, but I wanted to relate one part of our conversation that I found very moving. Typically speaking, Americans are not viewed all that highly by Europeans. There are lots of reasons for that, no the least of which is the “ugly American” display we see parodied in movies. Apparently we also have very little fashion sense as a culture, which is a very big deal to Italians especially. At the moment I want to relate to you, Nando and I are discussing politics and our respective cultures in general. Nando is very upset with the almost constant corruption that has plagued his government. He tells me a few stories and I try to explain that we have just as many problems as Italy in the very same areas. That is when he says something I will never forget. He looks over to me and says “…yes, but you LOVE America.” I am taken aback. Of course I do, don’t all cultures foster that same “spirit”. Don’t Italians LOVE Italy. Nando sadly tells me he does not believe so. He gives a litany of reasons; love of money or power, lack of national identity, etc. I feel a little sad for him if he is right. I try to say something to disagree with him again, but again he repeats “no no. Americans, you are different. You have invited the world, and you LOVE America!” I cannot argue with him. I simply nod and tell him I do love my country. Well, of course I do. Only a complete moron would serve in the military, risk his or her life, and not exhibit love of country!

So we talk more. Nando lives in Tuscany and I tell him how much Emily and I would like to take a vacation there someday and maybe go to cooking school. He tells me he likes to cook too and starts describing this recipe. It sounded so good I had him write it down and I thought it would be fun to post here:

• Slice a few zucchini length wise about ¼” thick.
• Heat these up on the BBQ or in a dry fry pan. Just a minute or two each side. Just until they are soft.
• In a mixing cup add:
o Olive Oil (very important Nando said, “no vegetable oil!”
o White Vinegar. To taste as you like it.
o Minced garlic, again to taste.
o Fresh coarse ground black pepper
o Finely chopped parsley
• Warm this mix up a bit, just so the flavors begin to meld together.
• Drizzle mixture on bottom of backing dish
• Add layer of zucchini
• Drizzle
• Layer of zucchini and repeat until ingredients are used up
• Leave this to rest in a cool, not cold place for 3 hours
• Enjoy as an appetizer especially before pasta!

As I will not be cooking for some time somebody will have to try this and tell me how it is. Enjoy!

No comments: