Thursday, September 13, 2007

You Nam E?

Ha ha ha. Actually its UNAMI, United Nations Assistance Mission to Iraq. This is another of the many organizations that it is my job to help support. If you are really interested in what UNAMI does check out http://www.uniraq.org/aboutus/aboutus.asp

I went over to their compound to meet the staff and discuss some issues. It was a very productive visit. I learned a great deal about the UN and the kind of people who do it's work out "in the field". I have to say the folks I met were an eclectic mix of nationalities and backgrounds. The common thread that bound all of them was their commitment to the people of the places the go to work and their courage.

It was really good to meet these folks for work related reasons. It was amazing to get to hear their stories about the places they had been. I wish I could tell the stories here, but having only heard them I fear I'd not do them justice. We are talking about places that rarely make the US news and stories that make crime in the US look like a kindergarten outing. Then there were the "good news" stories. Again, never heard of some of these places. What impressed me most was the cool demeanor of the folks I met. They weren't boasting, just retelling some of the more interesting events.

So it was a good trip. I got to see a little more of Kuwait City. In some respects it is just like any other city with highway signs and buses. I thought the pic of the advertisement on the back of the bus turned out funny. I have no idea who that joker is or what the script says.

No comments: