Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Weekend Off


Having completed the laundry list of tasks and briefings we were given the weekend off. I took off just as soon as I could and flew Air Tran airlines to Detroit to meet Emily for the weekend. This was total bonus time as I did not expect to get any time off once I left on 01 August. Yeah last minute tickets are a little pricey, but how do you put a price on time? Hell I'd have probably paid 2x as much. I mean really, I'm going to war. As is always the case with Emily we had a lot planned for a few short days but I knew it would be fun.

Before I go into the weekend I have to give AirTran their props. I had a great flight with them and would recommend flying with them if you can. I am not sure if it is a corporate policy or what, but they bumped me up to 1st Class on the way to Detroit and put me in an Exit row on the way back to Atlanta. Both times the agent thanked me for my service and told me that the bumbs were a small way of saying thank you.

The weekend was great. It was so wonderful to see Emily and her family and friends in Michigan. The wedding reception was an absolute blast. By the time we left my teamate and I retired as the undisputed, undeafeted Beer Pong champion of Dewitt, MI! Yep, Beer Pong at a reception. In fact we beat Emily and her dad. I have to say that was the toughest game, Mr. Pasch can bounce a mean pong ball. By the time it was over there were three tables going at once. Music kickin in the background, man if I get married again that's the way I wanna do it ;) (Emily, I know that shit ain't never gonna happen).

Sunday we went down to a BBQ with a few of Emily's college friends. It was a good time, but alas my rein as Beer Pong champ came to a horrifying, brutal end. These guys are real pros. I took a good smokin, which resulted in consuming a fair amount of the beloved beer. Anyhow, we had a great time. It was really a good idea to spend the last weekend with some distraction. I have to say a huge THANK YOU to Brian and Kelli. They are two of Emily's closest friends and have become good friends to me as well. They have both welcomed me into their circle, opened their home on several occasions and have given us amazing support during this deployment. Kelli even stayed up to do some laundry for me so Emily and I could spend some time alone together. Then she got up at 0400 to drive us to the airport! Thanks guys.

No comments: