Monday, August 27, 2007

Finally Flying

A mere 4 weeks after I reported to Ft McPherson I am now in the last few hours before I fly out. My four duffle bags are checked in, I have my boarding pass. I am hanging around the USO waiting to board my flight. I have to give the USO the recognition they are due. Most of you know the USO as the organization that sends performers to war zones. Most famous of those performers is probably Bob Hope. More recently the WWE wrestlers and musicians like Toby Kieth are on the bill. What many of you probably don't know is that the USO operates "canteens" in several major US Airports. The one here in Atlanta is remarkable. I have been in several, and they are all to be commended for the work they do. The one here is definitely a top 1% kinda place.

Let me first say that the canteen is nothing without it's volunteers. The folks that man these operations are themselves usually veterans, though not always. These folks meet and direct servicemen and women, make the sandwiches, clean up, and basically do everything else necessary to keep up the place. The USO in Atlanta for example serves coffee, tea, sandwiches, cookies, cakes, etc. They have a large sort of "living room" complete with TV's, magazines, books, etc. A small children's area to accommodate families moving from duty station to duty station. They have a quiet room with some recliners and a couch with paperbacks in and other reading material. This USO also supports a free WiFi connection and three PC's. The place is nicely appointed, carpeted throughout and just generally pretty nice. The volunteers do all of it.

I mention all this in an effort to get the USO the help they need to keep doing this work. The organization relies heavily on donations. I don't know the breakdown or if any of the admin staff gets paid. What I do know is for the BILLIONS of Soldier's, Sailor's, Airmen, and Marines and many of their families the USO has been an Oasis, a haven, a much needed distraction. So I would ask you to send them a buck or two. If you were gonna send me some candy or a card, I'd ask you to send the money instead to the USO. They do great work!

ummmmm, eerrr. ahhhhhh. Just a second, my collapsible soap-box is stuck........ there we go packed away. For know.

So anyhow, I am getting ready to go. Emily and I had a great week together here in "the ATL", but it is time to focus. Get my game face on. I'll be honest, I'm nervous. I worry. What I am not is unsure. I have no doubt that I need to go do this. I have no doubt in my ability or the ability of those around me. I believe I am a member of the best trained, best equipped, military in the world. So what the heck will I be doing you ask? Well that will have to wait for the next post, because I am not really sure. I was supposed to be going to do one thing, but apparently either I am to good or to bad for that job. So I might be going to do something related or something way different. No matter. I am an American Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight. You'll probably here that a lot from me over the next year.

No comments: